I had a blast this past week at the 10th anniversary of Charleston Fashion Week 2016’s Emerging Designer Competition: East — from the adorable winning models of the Rock the Runway contest to the amazing creativity from the competing designers to the fun accessories and clothing vendors selling each evening in the Style Village. Congrats to everyone who participated, especially the Emerging Designer Finalist winner, Destani Hoffman, and the People’s Choice Finalist winner, Kelsey Kawamoto.
A countdown of my Top 10 favorite things of CHFW10:
10) The off-the-shoulder sweater tunic from Emerging Designer Competition: East Semi-Finalist Jon Milner:
9) The cut-out, leg-exposing evening gown from Emerging Designer Semi-Finalist Samantha De La Fuente:
8) The nightly Front Row of Charleston Fashion Week Founder Ayoka Lucas and Creator of New York Fashion Week Fern Mallis:
7) The guest designers, like Tracy Reese below, who joined Fern in bringing a NYFW vibe to my Lowcountry hometown’s ever-increasing fashion week professionalism:
6) The amazing local retailers, like Janyce McMenamin, with me below, owner of RTW on King Street:
3) The gothic punk princess purity of Emerging Designer Competition: East winner Destani Hoffman’s collection:
1) The entire military-inspired collection shown by Emerging Designer Semi-Finalist Michael Mack, who hails from Maspeth, NY and studied design in Florence, Italy. I think I would wear everything he showed on the runway if I had access to it. But more important: THOSE SHOES!!!!